Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Of pipes and pulpits

These are the strangest flowers I've come across in my hiking this spring (I guess I'd also have to include the lady's slipper). The first is a dutchman's pipe. The small pipe-shaped flower (1 inch long) grows on a vine with heart-shaped leaves that are a foot wide. The vine can grow up to 60 feet high!

The jack-in-the-pulpit flower is another unique plant. It is pollinated by attracting mosquitoes and other insects into it's base with its stagnant smell. Note that some have purple or brown stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!