Thursday, July 19, 2007

To Pick More Daisies

If I had my life to live over, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax. I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I know of very few things I would take seriously. I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers and watch more sunsets. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I am one of those people who live sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day. Oh, I have had my moments, and, if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them. In fact, I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments, one after another, instead of living so many years ahead each day. I have been one of those people who never go anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and a parachute. If I had to do it over again, I would go places and do things and travel lighter than I have.

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would play hooky more. I wouldn't make such good grades except by accident. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I'd pick more daisies.


--Don Herold (1889-1966)

[I took this shot earlier this week on a bald on Unaka Mountain in Unicoi County, TN. If you're into nature/ wildflowers/ photography, then I really recommend the short hike I describe here. It's probably no surprise that this photo has been tweaked a bit. I used the the highlights/shadows feature in PhotoShop to bring out the background without overexposing the daisy, then softened the scene, and finally, sharpened it again (oddly enough). This is a favorite quote of mine, it's something I often need to be reminded of, and I've been saving it for just the right picture. I hope this post inspires you to play hooky and to photograph more daisies!]

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!