Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Enclosing its own secrets


A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that in every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest to it!
-–Charles Dickens (1812-1870), English novelist

I usually go for much shorter quotes, but I wanted to share this quote because it's stuck with me for a long time now. And oddly enough, it's what came to mind when I first saw this lonely old, dilapidated farmhouse -- if only these walls could talk! Anytime I fly into Chicago, or any city for that matter, I look out and think about this quote from Dickens. And I usually find myself saying a prayer for the families in all the little houses far below -- each enclosing its own secrets, each heart with its own joys and pains, hopes and fears. And I look around the plane and realize that the same is true of every other passenger I see. There's something about this quote that brings out tenderness....

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!