Friday, November 16, 2007

Nature's peace and autumn leaves

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
~John Muir (1838-1914), preservationist and author

The cloudy skies and the misty rain (and even a few snow flurries) combined to saturate the autumn colors and deepen their already rich, mesmerizing hues. My memory growing up in Illinois was that fall was a two week period of color and constant raking, followed by intense cold. I love how fall just seems to go on and on in our corner of Appalachia. Here it is mid-November and I've seen some of the best color of the fall this week (at least here in Tennessee). But crunching all around me today were reminders that it's all slowly coming to an sad parting. Fall is the one season I really wish I could take hold of and keep it from passing by.

Photo info: D80 + Tamron 90mm Macro Lens, ISO 500, 1/100s, f/3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!