Monday, February 25, 2008

Shoulder to Shoulder

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
--Elmer Davis

I can remember my grandmother telling me when I was a teen that she enjoyed walking through cemeteries. At the time, I thought that was a bit odd. But somewhere along the way, I've discovered that I, too, like to roam around cemeteries -- looking for the old stones, reading the names -- wondering what their lives were like. The photo above was taken at the Mountain Home National Cemetery in Johnson City, TN. Established in 1903, the cemetery now has 10,000 grave sites, the oldest are those of Civil War veterans.

Click here to access the names and burial locations of those interred at Mountain Home.
Click here to learn more about the cemetery and its history and here for directions.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I like to walk around cemeteries and take photos too, does that one have statues also or are they mostly the same kind of markers like your photo?
    Pre-1930 have the most unusual and interesting markers......I haven't really found too many of those around here though.
    This is a cemetery I was at on my most recent visit back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There aren't any elaborate statues there, and most of the markers are similar to what you see above. However, the buildings within the VA Center at Mountain Home (which the cemetery is a part of) has century old buildings that are quite ornate and interesting to photograph. Like the one here...
    http://appalachiantreks.blogspot.com/2007/08/old-soldiers-home.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the response, couldn't grab the link but I did a quick blog search and found what you were trying to show me......thanks for taking the time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!