Saturday, May 10, 2008

College Graduation

Education has for its object the formation of character.
--Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses interest in the students.
--John Ciardi (1916 - 1986)

Congratulations to all those graduating from Milligan College today! What a milestone in your lives, such a great accomplishment for you and your families. We're proud of you!

Lately there's been a trend in higher education for colleges to rename themselves 'universities' -- I guess the thought is that the name change will somehow make the institution seem more significant. I'm proud to say we're still a Christian Liberal Arts College. The greatest part about being a professor at Milligan is that I have the opportunity to know my students and enter into their lives -- the privilege to help shape them not only academically and professionally, but spiritually and personally. I loved my university experience as a student, but I knew very few of my professors -- the educational experience was limited to the classroom. In many classes you not only felt like a number, you were a number! At Milligan, we know our students by name. They often stop by our offices, worship with us, hike with us, eat dinner at our homes and call us at all hours. It's a wonderful learning community -- and I'm reminded today how thankful I am to be a part of it.

Above: Seeger Chapel at Sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!