Thursday, October 16, 2008

Like a moth to a flame...

Like a moth to a flame we become helpless to the beautiful ghosts that true love sheds.
--Ryan O'neal (b.1941) American Musician and Song Writer

I think for this shot, I'd like to paraphrase O'neal's quote and substitute the word "autumn" for "true love." I just can't help but to return again and again to the Blue Ridge Parkway -- looking for new angles among the dazzling bright colors of Autumn along this most familiar section of "America's Favorite Drive." I discovered a new angle (it's new for me at least!) by taking the section of the Tanawha Trail that leads from the Linn Cove Viaduct Visitor's Center parking lot at Mile 304. It's a wonderful trail that winds beneath the Viaduct and the massive boulders that the Viaduct is built around. I tried lots of angles, but I thought this particular view depicts the Viaduct's height and grace and its beautiful setting among the Autumn flames.

3 comments:

  1. Great picture. Only way you could make this better is to post it at a higher resolution, say, 1280x800, so I could set it as my desktop. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa, sort of dizzying. very nicely executed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this one at Mountain Dreams Cabins on Facebook too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!