Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Soaring

The spirit that does not soar is destined to grovel.
--Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881) British Prime Minister and Novelist

A beautiful stand of trees near the Green Mile within the Cherokee National Forest. Sadly, when we arrived, we found this area was strewn with trash and debris. Such beautiful trees and creeks, mountains and trails -- and these lazy, irresponsible, despicable people show such disrespect and disregard for God's creation and our community. I like to think I'm pretty forgiving, but I have very little patience or understanding for people who would do such a horrible thing. And to be honest, I really think part of the blame lies with the Forest Service itself. The access gates leading into the forest roads throughout this area were wide open, inviting every idgit and Neanderthal to venture in with their trash. Arrrgh. Thanks for letting me vent. I know I'm groveling, but it's hard for one's spirit to soar when surrounded by such stupidity. (At least it didn't affect my alliteration abilities).

Details: Nikon D90 with Sigma 10-20mm lens at 11mm, f/20, 1/50 sec., ISO 400.

1 comment:

  1. Don't blame the Forest Service. Blame the people who are throwing their trash out in the woods. The gates were probably open because the Forest Service has seasonal roads that open in the fall/winter for people to access the forest. I bet the gate is closed now. Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!