Monday, December 13, 2010

a time for home

Winter is the time for comfort - it is the time for home.
--Edith Sitwell (1887-1964) British poet

Snowed in today -- I didn't even try to venture out. The puppy was bouncing off the walls, but I was pretty content to stay in and finish grading my final exams. I guess all told we got about 6" or so here in Unicoi, TN (it's still coming down!). Haven't heard any reports yet from Roan Mountain -- but they were predicting some pretty heavy snow for the higher elevations.

The shot above of the Veteran's Memorial (erected 1912) in Elizabethton, TN was taken last year. I tried (unsuccessfully) to locate information online about the pink building on the left. It's adjacent to the Carter County Courthouse (just out of view to the left), and I assume it's the old jail. Does anyone know the history of this building?

Some miscellaneous good news from the Johnson City Press...

1 comment:

  1. WOW this makes me home sick for the Mountains. Nice Photo Mark. Kay Broeder

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!