Wednesday, February 23, 2011

great ambition

I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom.
--Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881) Scottish author 

You may have noticed that the posts on Appy Treks have been a little less frequent lately. Thought I'd catch you up on what's been going on in my life... Well, for the last month or so I've been going through some major home remodeling as my kitchen and laundry room were completely gutted, a wall removed, and then everything put back together removing any and all references to the 1980s. (I'll post photos eventually). This, on top of new classes I'm teaching and an energetic new puppy.  So things have been pretty hectic (exhausting?) around here. And just as the remodeling project was getting completed, I've come down with the cold/flu bug that's been going around. So needless to say, I haven't been out and about much recently. Hopefully this just means that everything in my life will fall into place perfectly for spring!

Here's a photo of the spectacular Linville Falls taken a couple years ago from the Plunge Basin Overlook. Located off of the Blue Ridge Parkway (Mile #316.5), this 45' waterfall is a popular destination and with it's many trails and overlooks, a very fun place to explore.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,
    Happy to hear that you are back,wish you swift recovery from the flue.
    Any chance meeting you when we get closer (September 2011)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's been crazy! But the puppy seems like it could be a bright spot in the midst of it! :) Great shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been missing your daily posts. Thanks for updating us on all the chaos! I hope you feel better SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain...at least one person in our house has been sick since Christmas. We just keep taking turns. It makes it hard to get out and hike. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your blog very much, Mark! It's a pleasure and privilege to be a part of anything you take time to post. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Praying that you feel well soon and have a speedy recovery.
    On another note..that has to be a great feeling of accomplishment to be finishing up a remodeling project? Did your puppy help you? =)
    What a beautiful shot! I need to pick your brain about how to plan a hiking trip to see such extraordinary places! It's a dream of mine to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I think I've turned the corner on my cold, but it's been a very s-l-o-w recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!