Sunday, April 14, 2013

holy ground

We should be astonished at the goodness of God, stunned that He should bother to call us by name, our mouths wide open at His love, bewildered that at this very moment we are standing on holy ground. 
― Brennan Manning (1934-2013) American author and priest. 

I was saddened yesterday to receive news of author Brennan Manning's passing. He is best known for "The Ragamuffin Gospel," a book filled with "good news for the bedraggled, beat-up, and burnt-out." I heard him speak at a conference a number of years ago and was struck by his unflinching honesty about his own struggles and brokenness. In all his books and talks, God's relentless grace, love and compassion for us was the theme. He wrote, “To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side I learn who I am and what God's grace means.” Rather than cowering in defeat, he reminded weary and bruised pilgrims that "In Love's service, only wounded soldiers can serve." “My deepest awareness of myself," he wrote, "is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it.” Rest in peace, Brennan. 
 

Click here to read his obituary.

Above image: budding tulip

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!