Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Follow the Quilt Trail

I don't know when I first noticed the decorative square patterns appearing on area barns (or in the case above, a covered bridge), but I now see them everywhere I go in east Tennessee. At first I just thought it was a local tradition of some sort. But then I was told that it's part of similar Quilt Trail programs in Ohio, Iowa and other parts of Tennessee. Area schools are invited to paint the panels with traditional quilt patterns. The panels are then hung on area barns in an effort to promote tourism and to honor the area's agricultural and quilting traditions. This is such an ingenious program. My grandmother would have loved this! Take a look at the excellent map of all the participating barns in Greene, Sullivan, Washington, Unicoi, Carter and Johnson Counties. If you live in east Tennessee, chances are you've already been on the quilt trail!

The square above is entitled "Dogwood" and is located at the Farmhouse Gallery and Gardens in Unicoi County. The red poppies that are now blooming there are amazing. To learn more see my original post here.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!