Sunday, November 11, 2007

Crossing the Line

My thanks to those who have written to me wondering, will you ever cross the line and trek into the Old Dominion State? In the coming week I'll show some scenes from my trip today to beautiful Abingdon, Virginia. And I hope to venture back soon to explore more of southwest Virginia. If you have some favorite places you'd like to recommend, I'd appreciate it if you'd please leave a comment below or send me an email!

The above photo is from the unique city (or cities) of Bristol, TN/VA. I'd be surprised if there is another city in America where the state line runs right through the center of main street (known as "State Street" in Bristol). To recognize this unique arrangement, brass plates, like the one above, are embedded in the middle of the road. Besides this straddling of the state line, Bristol is also known for the "World's Fastest Half-Mile" at the Bristol Motor Speedway and as "The Birthplace of Country Music."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!