Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Having confidence when you don't understand


Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.
--Oswald Chambers (1874-1917), minister and author

Late yesterday afternoon, I ventured out to see if Lower Higgins Creek was showing signs of hope. We've had a little bit of rain lately, and I was kinda anxious to get the tripod out of hibernation. Like every creek around here, Lower Higgins was reduced to a trickle this summer and fall. And as you can see, it still has a long ways to go. This photo was taken right at sunset (5:15), so to get the proper exposure, I left the shutter open for eight seconds -- which not only softens the water, but saturates the colors. After this shot, I hurried to hike out of the woods before it turned completely dark.

I love Chamber's definition of faith in the quote above. If you click here, you'll be taken to an online version of Oswald Chamber's devotional classic, My Utmost for His Highest. If you're thinking about New Year's resolutions, walking with Chambers for a year will change your life. But I have to be honest and say that my favorite devotional of all time is Brennan Manning's Reflections for Ragamuffins. I'll try to work in some of his quotes soon.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!