Acuff Chapel was the first Methodist meetinghouse west of the Appalachians and the first in Tennessee. Built in 1786 on land donated by Timothy and Anna Leigh Acuff in what is today Sullivan County, this chruch also served as a school for 75 years. The successor church, Adams Chapel, is still an active United Methodist congregation. The church above was eventually sold and moved -- used as a private house. In 1962 the Holston Conference purchased the building, moved it back to its original location and restored it. In the cemetery are the graves of the Acuffs and many other early settlers to the area. Additional photos here and here.