Saturday, January 12, 2008

Cascade Falls



This beautiful waterfall, known simply as Cascade Falls or The Cascades, is located about 15 miles east of Boone, NC at mile #272 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a fairly easy 1.2 mile hike, although there are lots of steps, to two different overlooks. I wasn't able to find the exact height of the falls. What you see above is the top of the main waterfall, but from here, the water cascades down an enormous slide (click  photo below to enlarge the view looking down the cascades). Signs warn to stick to the main trail and behind the stone walls at the overlooks. Click here for more information and beautiful photos.

8 comments:

  1. The Cascades has always been one of my favorite places on the Parkway. Having grown up in Wilkes County it is one of the easiest places to get to quickly. My wife took a wonderful shot of me standing at the bottom of the trail many years ago. I tried recreating with my daughter of couple of years ago without as much success.

    Thank you so much for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the cascade falls . I'm going to Virginia for Vacation Just to see the waterfalls. I alslo want to see the blue ridge mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cascade waterfalls they are soo beautiful, It is my favorite place to go in Virginia. I hope everyone can experience the beautiful sight.

    thank you so much for reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife and I visit The Cascade every few years. We were married there in 1973. It will always be a special place to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad that your pictures aren't working but thankful for the link you posted! Will be visiting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fixed it! Thanks for letting me know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!