Saturday, January 19, 2008

Look again...

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
--Albert Einstein (1879-1955) German born American Physicist

Even in the midst of winter, if you look closely, you'll find common things infused with amazing detail. Entering the world of macro photography will (or at least should) completely change the the way you see things. It's like a world within a world. My friend Lee and I (check out her terrific macro work at From these Hills) call it "macro world". You look up and realize you just spent thirty minutes inside of a turk's cap lily or staring eye to eye with a grasshopper. I am constantly amazed at how much has previously gone unnoticed -- but thankful for all of the intricacy of creation. Click here to read my advice on macro photography.

To get the white background above and to diffuse the light I used a lightbox (a.k.a. whitebox). You can buy these things or make one yourself (see here and here for do-it-yourself instructions). Of course, even these simple instructions were too sophisticated for me -- instead, I taped copy paper to the inside of a cardboard box. Git-R-Done! One of these days I'll make a better lightbox, but for now this one works for my macro photography and occasional eBay items. Click here to see my other lightbox examples.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!