Perched nearly 1500 feet above the Linville River, Wiseman's View overlooks the deepest gorge in the eastern US. From this vantage point, not only do you get a magnificent view of the rugged Linville Gorge, but you also get a commanding view of Hawksbill Mountain (above left) and Table Rock (right). Click here and here for more information on Linville Gorge. It is also one of the places from which the mysterious "brown mountain lights" can be seen -- click here for more information and other viewing locations. And while you're in the area, be sure to check out the view from Chestoa View Overlook (Mile 320 on the Parkway).
Directions: Wiseman's View is a 20 minute drive from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the exit for the community of Linville Falls, NC (Mile 317.5, one exit south of the entrance to Linville Falls). Turn left toward town onto Route 221 and drive 0.6 miles, then turn left onto Route 183 and proceed 0.7 miles. A sign will point the way to Wiseman's View (turn right onto Route 1238) and drive for 4 miles. This road is gravel, narrow and sometimes quite steep, but in fairly good shape. Still, I'd recommend a high clearance vehicle (SUV or van). The road is closed in the winter months. On the way you will pass the following stops (in order)...
1. Alternate parking area for Linville Falls
2. Information Cabin and restrooms (on your right)
3. Parking area for Pine Gap Trail
4. Parking area for Bynum Bluff Trail
5. Parking area Cabin Trail
6. Parking area for Babel Tower Trail
7. A sign will point the way (to the left) for Wiseman's View. From here it's a short drive to the parking area and a fairly easy walk to the lookout points (1/3 mile walk I'd guess).
Click here to see an autumn photo of Hawksbill Mountain.
Click here for directions and description of hike to the top of Table Rock. More photos here.