Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Roan

To be rooted is perhaps the most important but least understood need of the human soul.
--Simone Weil (1909-1943) philosopher

I'm always struck by the love and affection people in this area have for Roan Mountain. I often hear people say that they're "going up to visit the Roan." As if they're setting out to see an old friend. And indeed they are. As I was setting up the map of all the area hikes and waterfalls I've discovered, I realized that the Roan was literally at the center of all of my Appalachian experiences.

6 comments:

  1. That's so true.

    My friend Roan Marian was even named after it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much the same way about the Cascades on the Parkway (which you posted earlier this year) just north of the HWY 421 exchange. Thank you so much for your lovely and touching work mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing place. I'm headed to Buladean aka "Magnetic City" this weekend to see my grandmother. It sits just "beneath the Roan." Might make some time to get up on the mountain, or at least the AT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice shot, i really gotta get back to the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  5. I and all of my family love "The Roan". I grew up in Bakersville, NC, but as well I grew up on the Roan. My family spent many an enjoyable day upon the Roan. Each member had their favorite table to picnic at, from the tables along the State highway to the tables @ Carvers Gap, to the tables on top out at "the Bluff". It is so sad to see most of these tables gone now, for whatever reason, bad management or "Flying Squirrels".I have much disdain for those who seek to control my access to "the Roan". Chris Mckinney, Kingsport, TN.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!