Monday, March 16, 2009

blurring the lines

The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play.
--Arnold Toynbee (1889-1975), English economic historian

Whodathunkit? But taking pictures in the mist or immediately after a rain is usually the perfect situation. The colors are saturated, and even though it may be foggy and overcast, the atmosphere just glows. And with this diffused lighting comes the possibility of beautiful, soft photographs. What I really wanted to try yesterday morning was a multi-exposed photo, but I discovered that the Nikon D90 only allows for three exposures to be combined -- not nearly enough for the soft, blurry look I was wanting. So I decided to work instead on using a vertical panning motion -- yes, they're streaky (I like to call them impressionistic), but they seem to match the drizzle I awoke to yesterday.

Nikon D90, 18-200mm lens at 24mm (color) and 22mm (b&w), f/9, 1/5 sec. ISO:125

To see another attempt at this type of shot, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!