Saturday, September 19, 2009

inner peace

Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.
--St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622) Bishop of Geneva and Roman Catholic saint

I was actually expecting to see a lot more water when I took a couple of my photography students to the Blue Hole yesterday. I guess that specific area of Carter County missed our recent soakings. I know I've posted a lot of photos from there, but it's such an easy place to visit -- and a good place to take students to practice. With all our cloud cover yesterday, it was a good day for capturing the waterfalls -- if only there was more water! Here's my advice on photographing waterfalls. And here's my post describing the Blue Hole, complete with directions.

For this particular shot, I used a neutral density cokin filter (ND4) along with my circular polarizing warming filter -- this allowed me to leave the shutter open for 30 seconds, which really calmed the waters.

18mm, f/16, 30 sec., ISO 200

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you chose this quote for this image. Ironically, I thought of the relentless energy of water "rushing" over the rocks and churning in the pool below. But, as always, I love the ideas you're expressing with words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!