Sunday, October 18, 2009

On the edge

I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (1922-2007) American Novelist

With my insane fear of heights, I'm actually not one to be out on the edge. I'm perfectly content taking in the wide vistas from a safe distance back, thank you very much. :) And actually, in terms of photography, I've found that it's often better to step back to put something in the foreground to help frame and give a sense of depth and perspective to the image. Of course, I'm pretty sure Vonnegut wasn't thinking about hiking when he wrote this!

Above: Unknown photographer at Rough Ridge (taken last fall).

BTW...1,500 of Hugh Morton's photos have been digitized and made available online as part of UNC's Hugh Morton Collection of Photographs and Films. Click here for a discussion of the Collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!