Wednesday, June 9, 2010

going in

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.
--John Muir (1838-1914), Naturalist and Conservationist

Price Lake at Sunset. This is an identical shot to the one posted here, taken at the same time, the only difference being a different white balance setting. Just goes to show what a dramatic difference the white balance setting can have on an image! We usually think about making sure we set the 'correct' white balance setting, however, it can also be used creatively to either dramatically warm or cool an image to give it an entirely different feel. Another example here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome shot! Love your photos and quotes, always very complementing each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post takes me back to my childhood. Growing up in Boone, I often went fishing with my dad at Price Lake. Beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome awesome blog. Amazing pictures! I have a question for the expert. I currently have a Nikon D5000. I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade the camera, or the lenses. I'm fairly new to photography, and most of my pictures are long-exposure waterfall shots. Great blog!!! thanks! Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eddie, not knowing what lenses you already have, it's kinda hard to say. But the D5000 is a good camera and fairly new, so I'd probably look to upgrade lenses. While camera bodies are often outdated in 3-4 years, lenses can serve you well for decades if you take care of them. That said, I always tell my students that the main ingredients to great images are light and composition (more than equipment). More and better equipment doesn't always equate to better images if you're not shooting in interesting, dynamic light and the composition is ho hum. Thanks for your note -- happy shooting! You've got some really nice images on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!