Saturday, May 14, 2011

surreal

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.
--Salvador Dali (1904-1989) Spanish surrealist painter 

Above: Watauga Lake at Sunset. 

I occasionally experiment with HDR photography, but I rarely post any of them here because I haven't had much success in producing interesting images. I'm happy to leave it to those who consistently turn out fantastic work like C. David Cook from Jonesborough, TN.  Other examples here and here. For those unfamiliar with this technique - the unique look of High Dynamic Range photos is produced by combining multiple photos taken with different exposures in an effort to "open up" the shadows of a scene while at the same time maintaining the details in the brightest parts of an image.  This is usually accomplished by taking one (or more) dark image, one "correct" exposure, and one (or more) bright image -- and then combining them using Photoshop CS5 or other software. When done well, the final product takes on a dreamlike, surreal quality.  There are entire books written on the subject of HDR and numerous video tutorials available online if you want to give it a try!

On another note..."Bonny Kate" is a familiar name here in northeast TN...here's the rest of the story.

1 comment:

  1. I was just recently by Watagua Lake on my way to Wilkes County, NC to visit my parents. Seeing the lake full was marvelous considering how low it has been in recent years. The whole area was as green and as beautiful as I remember it being in a long time.

    Thank you for sharing this marvelous image. Your HDR in this case gives an image similar to old post cards at least on my monitor.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!