When Harvey and Ruth Brooks met with their architect in 1949, their vision for their new house was a quaint cottage with a white picket fence. What they ended up building was a sprawling, ornate house, "a modern adaptation of an antebellum mansion… a classic example of Georgian Architecture." Upon his death in 1969, the mansion was left to the city of Kingsport along with many of its furnishings, twenty-five acres and numerous outbuildings. Two conditions were placed on the gift, that the city maintain the property as it was during their lives and that it be used for public benefit. Today, the property is used for a variety of public events and is available for private weddings.
Click on the thumbnail photos to enlarge. The first is of the entryway, the impressive staircase (the second image) and the exterior columns and portico were bought by Mr. and Mrs. Brooks in Knoxville and shipped to the building site. The third image is of the pink room (Bride's Bedroom) on the second floor.
Click here to visit the official website which contains more of the history of the mansion, photo galleries, and directions.
Here's a video tour of the mansion: