Saturday, June 6, 2009

We will always remember.

"Someday, Lis, I'll go back,'' said Private First Class Peter Robert Zanatta, of the 37th Engineer Combat Battalion, and first assault wave to hit Omaha Beach. "I'll go back, and I'll see it all again. I'll see the beach, the barricades, and the graves.'' .... Lisa Zanatta Henn began her story by quoting her father, who promised that he would return to Normandy. She ended with a promise to her father, who died 8 years ago of cancer: "I'm going there, Dad, and I'll see the beaches and the barricades and the monuments. I'll see the graves, and I'll put flowers there just like you wanted to do. I'll feel all the things you made me feel through your stories and your eyes. I'll never forget what you went through, Dad, nor will I let anyone else forget. And, Dad, I'll always be proud.''

Through the words of his loving daughter, who is here with us today, a D-day veteran has shown us the meaning of this day far better than any President can. It is enough for us to say about Private Zanatta and all the men of honor and courage who fought beside him four decades ago: We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free.
--Ronald Reagan (1911-2004) 40th President of the United States

Today marks the 65th anniversary of D-Day, the monumental, heroic allied invasion which ultimately led to the liberation of Europe from the dark grip of tyranny. I've collected some speeches and videos to help us remember and honor the courage of the soldiers who stormed the cliffs on that fate-filled day...

Click here to watch clips of President Reagan's two magnificent speeches made on the 40th anniversary of the Normandy Invasion. Click here and here to read the complete transcripts.
Click here to listen to General Eisenhower's speech to the troops the day before.
Click here to listen to President Roosevelt lead the American people in prayer on the day of the invasion.
Click here and here to listen to powerful speeches by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill as he rallies his nation.
Finally here is a video with D-Day footage and speeches from Reagan and General Patton.

Above: A small waterfall located above Laurel Fork Falls in Carter County, TN.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting and joining in the discussion on Appalachian Treks! Your comment will be sent to me to be approved. Sorry for this added step, but it is necessary to avoid spam. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!